That’s exciting! First-time pet parents of a kitten or cat should be aware of a few things before the new family member home. One important decision should be made right from the start, and the answer may depend on your accommodation: Is this an indoor or an outdoor cat? If you cannot provide the cat with safe outdoor access, you will need to empty and clean a litter tray on a daily basis.
Secondly, line up a cat care facility near home for overnight boarding needs. It’s important to think ahead about this so you’re ready when the need arises.
The Cat Care Basics
- Provide regular meals of dry and/or wet food
- Provide fresh water throughout the day
- Groom regularly
- Have the cat spayed or neutered between 4 and 6 months of age
- Vaccinate against major feline diseases on a best-practice schedule
- De-worm as required; provide treatment for fleas as required
- Safety breakaway cat collar with identification tag
- Separate water and feeding bowls, litter tray, good brush, nail clippers, scratching post, toys
- A comfortable cat bed (at least sometimes, the cat will go there…)
- Consider having cat microchipped
- Consider medical insurance for your cat
- Get a crate or pet carrier
- Choose a pet care facility for cats
Related: What Vaccination Does My Cat Need for Overnight Boarding
Related: Taking a Trip? Overnight Pet Boarding is the Solution For Your Cat
Save Your Paperwork
It’s a good idea to make a file for or find a place specifically for important paperwork related to your cat. In addition to the records a vet keeps, it’s handy to have such things at your fingertips at home. Note that vaccination records and dates will be required by a cat care and boarding facility.
When You’re Away
Do you have a plan for your cat during vacations or work travel situations? Because there will be times when you and/or family members must leave the home for 24 hours or longer, it’s important to have selected a cat boarding facility nearby. Plan ahead by contacting one or more and making a visit if you can. When the need arises, you’ll be all set to give the facility a call and book your cat’s short or extended stay.
Be prepared for your new cat’s arrival and you’ll be ready to enjoy years of companionship to follow.